Academic Regulations for
the College of Enginering

For complete information regarding the academic rules and regulations of the University students should consult University Academic Offices, Services, and Regulations. The following additions and amendments pertain to the College of Engineering.

Cross-Registration Opportunities

Degree Requirements

Directed Study

Doctor of Philosophy

Electronics and Computer Control Systems (M.S. Program)

Graduate Advisers

Graduate Degrees

Major Credits

Master of Science Programs


Plan of Work


Scholarships, Assistantships and Fellowships

Thesis Degree Plan

Transfer Credits


After receiving credentials from the Office of Admissions, and before registration, students should contact the graduate adviser in his/her major department (see the following list) for details of program planning and to discuss requirements and course work.

Graduate Advisers

Dr. Michele Grimm; 577-8395

Dr. Yinlun Huang; 577-3771

Dr. Thomas Heidtke; 577-3854

Dr. Pepe Siy; 577-3841

Dr. Yang Zhao, Chairperson; 577-3920

Dr. O. Mejabi; 577-3821

Dr. Mulchand Rathod: 577-0800

Dr. Ralph Kummler: 577-3861

Dr. O. Mejabi: 577-3821

Dr. R. Kannan 577-3879

Dr. Trilochan Singh; 577-3845
Dr. Victor Berdichevsky; 577-3905

Dr. Guang-Zhao Mao; 577-3804

Scholarships, Assistantships and Fellowships

A variety of financial resources are available to support full-time study, including graduate research and teaching assistantships and various fellowships. For general sources of graduate financial aid, see the section on Graduate Financial Assistance, beginning under Financial Assistance, Graduate. Requests for such support should be included with the Graduate School application.

Charles DeVlieg Foundation Award: Through annual support from the DeVlieg Foundation, graduate scholarship funds are available to supplement other sources of student support in situations where students have extraordinary financial requirements. Amounts range from $2000 to $4500 per year, and awards are made based on academic merit and financial need.

Frederick G. Weed Graduate Scholarship in Chemical Engineering: This award is made to a full-time graduate student selected by the Department Chairperson, based on scholastic achievement, leadership qualities, and financial need.


A graduate degree is evidence of scholarly achievement, academic excellence, critical and creative abilities, the capacity to apply and interpret what has been learned, and of proper use of the work of others. Continuance in graduate status is contingent on satisfactory scholarship with grades of `B' or better. Every effort is made to assist the student whose work suffers as a result of conditions beyond his/her control.

Graduate students are required to earn an g.p.a. of 3.0 (`B' average) or better in all graduate-level subjects taken at W.S.U. to satisfy degree requirements. Students whose cumulative g.p.a. falls below 3.0 are placed on probation, and the performance of these students is closely monitored by the departmental graduate committee. Students who fail to remediate this probationary status within eight credits after being placed on probation are subject to termination from the graduate program.

Any grade lower than `B' minus in a core course MUST be repeated. (The Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department requires students to repeat core courses in which they have received a grade of `B-minus' or lower.) No more than two courses may be repeated in a graduate program (the electrical and computer engineering and the mechanical engineering programs permit the repetition of only one course), and a student must have the appropriate approvals BEFORE the repeat registration takes place. `F' grades earned while in the College of Engineering may be the basis for termination. Consult each department for additional requirements.

All course work must be completed in accordance with the academic procedures of the Graduate School governing graduate scholarship and degrees; see Academic Regulations of the University, Degree and Certificate Requirements. University rules require an overall g.p.a. of 3.0 or higher for graduation, in all graduate work completed at Wayne State.

Plan of Work

Students who have been admitted into a graduate program in the College of Engineering are required to meet with their graduate program adviser before registering for their first term, and then enroll in those courses mutually decided upon. During the first semester of their graduate program, in consultation with their graduate adviser, all graduate students must develop a Plan of Work which determines their anticipated schedule for each term.

Students who fail to meet with their graduate adviser before registration or who do not have an approved Plan of Work may be administratively withdrawn from their classes if, in the opinion of the graduate program adviser, they are not taking classes appropriate to their program.

If a student has been admitted to one graduate program and decides not to pursue that program, the student MUST obtain admission to another graduate program, or he/she must withdraw from the University. To obtain admission into another program, the student must meet all the admission requirements for that program and must provide the required admission documents. Approval of the transfer of program by the original admitting program is required. International students on a student visa must also amend their I-20 at the University Office of International Students and Scholars to reflect the change in program.

Directed Study

Independent study may be authorized provided the area of interest is an integral part of the student's graduate program and is not covered by courses scheduled in completion of course requirements. Students who elect a directed study are required to submit a Directed Study Authorization Form, which includes a description of the proposed directed study, with the necessary signatures, prior to registration.

Master of Science Programs

The Master of Science is offered in biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, electronics and computer control systems, engineering management, engineering technology, hazardous waste management, industrial, manufacturing engineering, mechanical, and materials science and engineering, and (as an interdisciplinary curriculum) electronics and computer control systems.

Admission to these programs is contingent upon admission to the Graduate School; for requirements, see Admission, Regular. Applicants to the engineering master's degree programs must also satisfy the following criteria.

In addition to the minimum requirement for admission of an overall grade point average of 2.8 from an institution accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), a minimum grade point average of 2.8 in all junior and senior year (upper division) courses is required. Applicants from abroad will be judged on the basis of their record and on the reputation of the school from which they graduated. Individual departments and interdisciplinary programs may require a higher minimum upper division g.p.a. Regular admission may also be granted to applicants with undergraduate degrees from regionally (non-ABET) accredited institutions in engineering, physics, chemistry, mathematics and computer science who meet the equivalent of the above minimum standards. Additional course work will generally be required of such applicants.

Degree Requirements

The minimum requirement for the master's degree is thirty-two credits under the following degree plans approved by the College:

Plan A: A minimum of twenty-four credits in course work, a minimum of eight credits of thesis and a seminar or an oral presentation on the thesis research.

Plan B: Thirty-two credits, including a four to six credit project. (Engineering Technology ONLY.)

Plan C: A minimum of thirty-two to forty credits in course work. A thesis is not required.

College of Engineering Graduate Requirements -
M.S. Programs

BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS;
thesis/project min. 8 credits
CHEMICAL ENGINEERING: min. 2.8 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min for MS;
thesis/project min. 8 credits
HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT:1 min. 3.0 gpa for admission;
34-38 cr. min for MS; thesis/project min. 8 credits
MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGG.: 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min for MS;
thesis/project min. 8 credits
CIVIL ENGINEERING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS;
thesis/project min 8 credits
COMPUTER ENGINEERING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS; thesis/project min. 8 credits
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS; thesis/project min. 8 credits
ELECTRONICS & COMPUTER CONTROL SYSTEMS: min. 2.8 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS; thesis/project min. 8 credits
ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 42 cr. min. for MS; (Plan B. only)
ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS; thesis/project min. 4 credits
INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING: min 2.8 gpa for admission; 32-40 cr. min. for MS; theisi/project min. 8 credits
MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING: min. 2.8 gpa for admission; 32-40 cr. min. for MS; thesis/project min. 8 credits
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 32 cr. min. for MS; thesis/project min. 8 credits

College of Engineering Graduate Requirements
- Certificate Programs

ENVIRONMENTAL AUDITING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 15 cr. min.
HAZARDOUS WASTE CONTROL: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 13 cr. min.
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS MGT.- PUBLIC LANDS: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 12 cr. min.
POLYMER ENGINEERING: min. 3.0 gpa for admission; 12 cr. min.

Major Credits

Credits earned in the student's major field are designated as major credits. Of the minimum of thirty-two credits required for the master's degree, at least one-half of the course work, exclusive of thesis credit, must be in the major field. At least six credits in the major must be in 7000- or 8000-level courses.

Thesis Degree Plan

Students who elect the thesis degree plan (Plan A) are required to file a Thesis Outline Approval Form for approval by the adviser and the Engineering Graduate Officer before writing the thesis. Information about the thesis style, format and number of copies required can be found in the Graduate School section of this bulletin, see Theses and Dissertations. Final recommendation of approval for the thesis requires an oral defense of the thesis material in the presence of a departmental faculty committee of three persons including the adviser and one faculty member from outside the department.

Transfer Credits

Every Wayne State student pursuing the M.S. degree must complete at least twenty-four credits in residence. As a privilege, a student may file a Petition for Transfer of Graduate Credit, provided that the credits were earned in residence at another accredited graduate school, are certified as graduate credit with grades of `B' or better on an official transcript, and are certified by the adviser to be acceptable in the student's degree program as major work. Courses transferred may NOT have been used as applicable credit toward any other degree. In order to transfer grades from another institution, that institution has to be listed on the student's W.S.U. Admissions Application, or specifically mentioned in correspondence to the College prior to matriculation. Special documentation is necessary to transfer credits earned outside North America. A student whose Petition to transfer credits is denied may still receive credit by examination (see Examination, Credit by).

All transcripts supporting the transfer of credits must be for credits earned prior to the student's first semester at W.S.U. While enrolled in a degree program in the College of Engineering, graduate-level courses taken at another institution may not be applicable to the College of Engineering degree without approval prior to registration for any such courses. A Transfer of Credit request should not be submitted before the completion of eight credits in residence at Wayne State. All credits transferred must conform to the six-year time limitation for completion of requirements (see Time Limitation).

Since twenty-four credits of any M. S. program must be earned at W.S.U., the number of transfer credits from a related, uncompleted graduate program at another institution are limited to eight credits for a thirty-two credit M.S. program and twelve credits for a thirty-six credit M.S. program.

Cross-Registration Opportunities

Students are encouraged to consider incorporating in their course of study up to two courses elected in any of three exchange arrangements: the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Studies Program (MIGS) (see Intercollegiate Graduate Studies, Michigan (MIGS)), the Wayne State - University of Windsor Exchange (see University of Windsor -WSU Exchange Agreement), and Dual Enrollment at the University of Michigan (see Dual Enrollment with the University of Michigan:). The latter enrollment may be utilized at both the Ann Arbor and Dearborn campuses. Consult the graduate adviser and the Dean's Office for information and application forms applicable to these program.

Electronics and Computer Control Systems
(M.S. Program)

The ECCS Master of Science degree is an interdisciplinary program which draws on the course offerings of the Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science. This program was established in 1983, in collaboration with the Ford Motor Company, to meet the needs of students interested in a course of study focussing on hardware, interface, microprogramming, and software needs for digital microprocessor and dynamic sensor signal-based control of analog and electromechanical systems. This program is available on-site to Ford Motor Company employees at the Danou Technical Center in Allen Park, Michigan. Non-Ford affiliated students may apply for admission to this program through the normal application process and take appropriate courses on campus.

Admission to this program is contingent upon admission to the Graduate School; for requirements, see Admission, Regular. Ford Motor Company employees should submit admission credentials through the Ford Motor Company University Programs Office, at the Fairlane Training and Development Center; telephone: 313-323-1182. Applicants should have a Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline; those with certain prerequisite deficiencies will be required to take supplemental background course work.

DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: This program is offered under the following options:

Plan A: Thirty-two credits including an eight-credit thesis.

Plan B: Thirty-two credits including a four-credit project.

Plan C: Thirty-two credits of course work.

All options require a three-course interdisciplinary core consisting of CSC 6110 or ECE 6600, M E 6550, and ECE 5620. The additional twenty credits are elective chosen by the student through an approved Plan of Work. These courses must include at least two 7000-level (advanced graduate) courses. Knowledge of a high level programming language and computer architecture is required, for which the student may have to take CSC 5050 as part of their elective credit. It is recommended that at least one elective be chosen from each participating department (ME, ECE, and CSC).

All course work must be completed in accordance with the regulations of the Graduate School and the College of Engineering governing graduate scholarship and degrees; see Academic Regulations of the University, Degree and Certificate Requirements, and Academic Regulations for the College of Enginering

Doctor of Philosophy

The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree is offered by the College of Engineering in the major areas of: biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, materials science and engineering, and mechanical engineering.

Admission to the doctoral programs of the College is contingent upon admission to the Graduate School; for requirements, see Admission, Graduate School. For admission into a Ph.D. engineering program, the student's overall grade point average must be 3.2 or better, and 3.5 in the last two years as an undergraduate student. Students who do not satisfy these minimum standards will not be considered for admission to the program until they have completed a master's degree and have earned a grade point average in courses taken for graduate credit which is not less than 3.5. Individual departments may have higher admission requirements.

Generally, students applying for admission to the Ph.D. program should have first achieved an M.S. degree. Students completing their M.S. degree programs who wish to enter the Ph.D. program must have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 at the graduate level.


A minimum of ninety credits beyond the bachelor's degree is required for the Ph.D. program, including thirty credits for the dissertation. The thirty credit dissertation registration requirement is fulfilled in one of two ways: 1) Students who have accumulated credits in the course numbered 9999 (Doctoral Dissertation Research and Direction) register for a total of thirty credits in 9999; or 2) Students who have not accumulated any credits in the course numbered 9999 and who attain Candidacy after Summer semester 2001 register for the courses 9991, 9992, 9993, and 9994 (Doctoral Dissertation Research and Direction I, II, III, and IV, respectively), in consecutive academic year semesters. For specific course requirements, students should consult the departmental sections of this bulletin, which follow.

There are no general foreign language requirements for the Ph.D. degree. Specific requirements can be made by the Ph.D. advisory committee and are designed to suit individual Ph.D. applicants.

If the student fails to meet the Ph.D. requirements, he/she may transfer appropriate credits toward the Master of Science degree program in the discipline in which credits were accrued.

Handbook for Doctoral Students and Advisers

Specific details pertaining to Ph.D. course work and other requirements are given in the Handbook for Doctoral Students and Advisers. This document, available from the Graduate School, should be carefully reviewed by all doctoral students.

  Completion of Certificate Program in Hazardous Waste Control is mandatory 
 before admission to the hazardous waste management M.S. program.